Friday, January 25, 2008

Riding Shotgun to Rifle

I have now been in Aspen for slightly more than 24 hours, and I have to say - it's been overwhelming. Not in a bad way, but in the same way that they are when you realize you've just made your favorite jeans into cutoffs. An act that cannot really be undone, and which in the long run you realize you might not want to reverse, but something the full impact of which you failed to grasp at the moment you sliced through the denim with a pair of scissors.

My morning began early, as my new boss said she would pick me up at 7:30 for the drive to Rifle. We would start there and work our way back to Aspen, touring the down valley area as we went. Down valley is code for anything below Aspen here, and I'm not sure if it is one word, two words, or even proper grammar. In any case, I hopped out of bed, prepared myself, and had a quick bite to eat with my hosts, Mike and Margaret. Their standard poodle Emma joined us as well, but she didn't have any bacon. By the time Mitzi actually pulled up, it was 8 o'clock. Her dog Ashay rode along with us in her little Subaru.

Rifle is a town that has recently been booming, thanks to the development of oil and natural gas. Guess which company is leading the charge? EnCana! Interesting Canadian connection. TRIVIA ALERT: First person to e-mail me the name of the project(s) EnCana has been involved with in Nova Scotia gets a postcard from Aspen.

We stopped in Rifle so Mitzi could do an interview with the head of the Garfield County library system. Then we took Ashay for a walk, during which he did a very good imitation of a billy goat (we ran into two goats among a field of tractors alongside the road). The walk was brief, and then we all piled back into the car to go back to Glenwood Springs. Something I learned about Glenwood Springs today - it's not just a name. There is an actual hot spring the size of an Olympic swimming pool that is open to the public, daily, in the middle of town. I think I may be brave enough to check it out this weekend. Another thing I learned is that Glenwood is home to a Target and a Lowe's building store, AND a Pier 1 Imports. I am no longer concerned about furnishing the apartment I do not yet have.

We pulled in to Target long enough to determine that a) they are sold out of snow boots and b) as Mitzi says, it's the only place near Aspen where you can buy underwear that "isn't a beaded thong." Back in the car, after forcibly removing Ashay from the driver's seat. He really doesn't like to be left out in the car!

In Carbondale, we visited the outgoing reporter's apartment. It was nice, but it is definitely a basement. Then Mitzi and I split up for a while and I walked around the historic downtown, stopping for a bagel and to look for rental signs. There is a one-screen movie theater (currently showing Atonement) where you can buy a 10-show pass for $60, and a cool little coffee shop called the Lift. I had a bagel with "marble mafia" cream cheese. I did not see any mobsters.

By the time I returned to the car, I was ready for some quiet time - and to be off the road. So Mitzi dropped me off at my car and I drove up to Aspen (I know, that's not actually off the road at all). I parked at the station, checked my e-mail, called on a promising apartment lead, and then talked to MB who called at exactly the right moment. I also took some photos of the view from the station, and of the station, and of Ashay, who is kind of my new favorite thing. I will post the pictures as soon as I get online on my own computer.

At the station I also met Marci, the newsreader and reporter who was hired just three months ago. She is super nice. She took me to the bank, where I opened a bank account so I can put my greenbacks safely away. Then we went to the post office and I followed her to the Aspen Club and Spa, where the station has free memberships. I asked how that works, and Mitzi says they do a trade - the station does "underwriting" for them by basically running little ads for the club, and they let us all go there for free.

And holy crap is it a good thing it's free. For those who have the point of reference, think Spring fitness club in Halifax. There's a greatroom entrance with a huge flat screen television, stuffed club chairs, and a clothing/athletic wear/jewelry store next to it. Then there's a HUGE open space, circular, with a walkway around on the mezzanine level. Below, the weight room and fitness studio are in the center. On the mezzanine, there is a pilates room, two other studios, a herd of treadmills and other cardio machines, and a cafe called "garnishes." And also a sports medicine clinic and performance training center.

Off the back is a three-lane lap pool along with an indoor and outdoor hot tub. And down the stairs, a full spa (massage for $150, anyone?) and hair/nail salon. But most stunning is the locker room. Oh, my. You come in to fluffy white bath sheets - no washcloth-sized hand towels here - for the taking, plus fluffy white robes and complimentary spa sandals. Then perhaps you'll have some tea, from the selection of herbal teas kept in the pantry area. After some refreshment, you can head into the locker area, where each custom cabinet wood locker has its own key, and you can sit in club chairs while you discuss the designer ski jacket you saw hanging in the coat closet. The shower area has a women-only jacuzzi, steam room, and sauna, plus teak lounge chairs everywhere. The makeup area has hair dryers that actually work, lotion, hair spray, mouthwash, hair brushes, shampoo, body wash, razors, you name it. I actually asked a well-dressed woman if the hair brush was hers, and she looked at me like I was from another planet. "No, those are for everyone to use..." as she moved a little further away down the counter to finish applying her mascara. Pardon my Prada, madam.

While in the fancy shmancy locker room, a woman my age came in with a LULULEMON gym bag! Before I could stop to restrain myself, I blurted out, "Are you from Canada?" She looked startled but said, no she had gotten it in Denver. Accomplishing two things - a) a new place to get my Lulu fix, and b) starting a conversation. She works for a nonprofit here called the Aspen Institute (more on that below) and her name is Becka Jane. I hope I see her again, and perhaps she won't think I'm a weirdo when I interrogate her about her Reverse Groove yoga pants.

After the gym I decided to mosey on down the mountain back to Mike and Margaret's house. I had an invitation to dinner with a bunch of Mitzi's friends and people from the station, but I wanted to chill out instead. Which was an awesome idea. Mike and Margaret were on their matching Mac Powerbooks when I got home, and we all sat and watched some news on the huge TV before they whipped up a "quick and simple" dinner of pounded chicken cutlets encrusted with panko, green onion and parsley, carrots sauteed in butter and ginger, fresh crusty bread, and salad with avocado and homemade dressing. Unbelievable. I've been pretty darn lucky in grub the last few days! I won't be as enthusiastic when blogging about my own spaghetti and marinara sauce dinners.

We all sat to eat and M & M told me all about the Aspen Institute and the lecturers that come to speak here through the year. It's quite the roster - Madeline Albright, Karl Rove, Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Thomas Friedman to name a few. And Mike described the new physics society summer festival and the famous authors who come to do book signings in town. It sounds like King's at high elevation, really. Which leaves me even more determined to start the Aspen chapter of the Alumni association. No word on whether they're into sherry.

Pop culture alert: For those who know of my fascination (infatuation) with Wolf Blitzer, you'll appreciate that he is a regular attendee at many Aspen fundraisers/festivals/conferences. Oh, Wolf. He may take over from Rick on the crush list. Unless Rick skis in Aspen. Then he will always have my heart.

Mike and I talked all about great books and great bread - and discovered that he has the exact book about the science of cooking that my father bought me last year at a used bookstore! We're like three peas in a pod, Mike and Margaret and me. And Mark, I guess (that's my dad, for the uninitiated).

After supper we all sat down again with our respective computers and watched Maria Sharapova win the Australian Open. Tomorrow M & M are going skiing, and I am going exploring again. I'll let you know if I get up the courage to hop in the hot springs!

No comments: