Thursday, January 24, 2008

Down the Road to Denver, and Up in Altitude to Aspen

When I woke up in Lincoln, Nebraska, one of my first thoughts was that I ought to be going. Not that the locals were unfriendly. In fact, every person I met was cheerful and incredibly helpful. But my mind was already in Colorado, and my body needed to catch up.

So after a hearty breakfast of oatmeal and yogurt, I hit the road for the local coffee shop, The Blend. It was like a scene from Fargo or some Midwestern sitcom - the woman behind the counter makes a mocha and hands it to the guy in his work coveralls and says "There ya go, Ben. Have a good day now." I took my latte to go, along with a shirt that reads: I got mugged at The Blend. I couldn't resist. Maybe I will wear it to my fancy new gym and upset all the celebrities. 

The rest of Nebraska can be summed up in a few sentences. The road was flat and the scenery was farmland featuring large seeder-looking machinery. The things I noticed while I whizzed past were, in order:

Buffalo Bill's Ranch (followed by his grave, located west of Denver)
A huge archway over the highway in the middle of nowhere and with no apparent historical or cultural significance.
The Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles.
A town called Gibbon (which is a type of monkey I doubt lives in said location).
An original Pony Express Station.
A truck stop the size of a department store where church services are held each Sunday in the TV lounge.
And then, in Colorado -
A large bird of prey which landed in the middle of the road, in my lane, forcing me to change lanes rather than fly away from whatever it had landed on.

Driving into Denver was amazing. I didn't really see much but lights, because it was already dark. The twinkling seemed to go on forever, and spread out in front of the car as I crested the hills. The TomTom helpfully shouted me to Susan's mother's house, which is gorgeous! It was my first time meeting her, and she was so welcoming. What a nice way to finish a long day of driving, with a friendly smile and lovely surroundings! The house has many pieces of Susan's art, which I had never seen and which made the space feel so calm and peaceful. 

It wasn't quiet for long, though! Setsko drove me to a basketball game where we met up with Susan's sister, Nancy, and her kids - Nick and Jessica. Nick is very tall and a basketball player. Jessica is all grown up since the last time I saw her - way back when in Seal Harbour! After the game, where I saw a step team (the only comparison I can draw is that "stomping" style of dance that was so popular in New York a few years ago, I can't remember the name) perform, along with the varsity "poms" and the cheerleaders. So much pep, I tell you! It was amazing to see. They must have practiced so hard, and the performances looked practically professional - in high school!

After the game Setsko took us out for supper and we all got to know each other and chat about Colorado. It is so nice to know that I have extended bonus family in Denver. I hope they will all come to visit me in Aspen, but Nancy says not until the snow melts! After a good meal, we went back to Setsko's house and called it a night. I slept like a rock! 

This morning, I had my first taste of Japanese pancakes, which were so delicious! They were light and fluffy but crispy on the outside and I can't even describe how good - you'll have to go to Denver and have Setsko make some for you! We had tea and pancakes and then I prepared to hit the road. I had a travel snack of cake and coffee, which was delicious and infinitely better than truck stop food. 

After a car wash (six states' worth of dirt and grime!) I headed for Aspen. The roads were dry and clear, but I had to struggle to keep my eyes on the highway - the mountains rose up on the horizon like a picture or a painting and I have never seen anything like it. It's no wonder religion seems so popular here: one look at these mountains and you have to think there's a higher power designing the landscape. 

Driving through the mountains was not as arduous as I had feared, thanks mostly to the dry conditions. It was a bit unnerving to drive by signs reading "Falling Rock" and "Avalanche Area." And the tunnels under the mountains are not my favorites. The further west I went the less I wanted to drive back to Denver! I'm sure that passes, though. The T-bird was a champ. 

I tried to stop for food in Vail but after circling the village for 15 minutes without hope of parking, I moved on to the next highway rest area and ate there instead. I was so rattled from the Vail experience that I drove the T-bird's front end directly into a snowbank, causing alarm for the Mexican gentlemen in the construction pickup next to my parking space. I calmly backed up and waved to let them know I was okay. The bumper was unfazed. 

After Vail, the mountain view changed a bit. The road seemed carved out of the mountain, with a sheer face on the right side, red rock mixed with white snow. It was also stunning, and I would have paused except for the "Falling Rock" signs (see above). Other than the breathtaking views, the most memorable moment was for exit 119 on the highway - no name. No, really, that is what the exit was called. Exit 119 - No Name. Sounds like a sequel to The Shining. One license plate also bears mention - two wrinkly old men in a pickup truck, and two words: EAT ELK. Well, if you insist. 

Glenwood Springs was a quick drive-by. I paused at a 7-Eleven to call the station and alert them to my imminent arrival. My excitement was dampened by getting my boss's voice mail. So to cheer myself up I drove through Carbondale on my way to Aspen. What a beautiful town! The sign actually calls it a city, but I'm not convinced yet. The main street is made up of small red brick row buildings with shops and storefronts. There are also several candy-colored townhouses and a few freestanding buildings. The highlight however, is that just moments from this picturesque downtown, there is a field of cows. Yes, that's right. A field of cows! As I rejoiced at the proximity of livestock to my new home, I passed a field of horses! I'll have to make friends with some farmers.

Onward to Aspen, I said to myself. And so I went, up up up the mountain. Apparently snowplows don't "do" Aspen, so the streets became snow-covered and hard packed. I commandeered the valiant T-bird (by this point making a squeaky sound at each braking and a mildly worrying grumble) up the hill and through the little streets to the Red Brick building where the station is housed. I pulled over, grabbed my coat and purse, and promptly walked into a rec center gymnastics class. That explains why an eight-year-old held the door for me. Turns out the radio station is next door, with its own entrance. 

It's a small place, and as I walked in, people appeared from everywhere to say hello. They told me I was the most exciting part of the day! I got the grand tour, an offer of a free couch (with a snazzy print), and checked my e-mail. Then Mitzi and I went on a walking tour of Aspen, with her dog Ashay. Ashay is five months old and a beautiful golden labradoodle. He also really likes to smell tourists. So we went all around town - from the station, past the post office (they're really big on Post Offices here, more on that another day), up the hill to the library, which is beautiful and clearly well funded, through the walking mall area (Christian Dior, Burberry.... and LUSH!! ) and back around to the station. I met several city parking employees, a reporter from one of the papers, the deputy sheriff (who was hammering a sign in at one of the shops because apparently there's not much to do in the way of enforcing the law here), and a few of Mitzi's friends. Ashay met several poodles and a shih-tzu who looked very offended at his bold advances. 

I also learned that there is so little crime that sometimes there is no police officer on duty(!!) at the station, the newspapers are all free (except the New York Times, which is available everywhere in those corner paper boxes), and new reporters get a free welcome meal. 

Before I got the food, though, Andrew took me to the home where I'll be staying, with Mike and Margaret. They are members of the radio station board and really smart people. They have a gorgeous and huge home, one level with three bedrooms, an open concept great room/kitchen/dining room, and floor to ceiling windows on both sides of the house. After a few minutes getting to know them, Andrew whisked me away (a small snow squall on the way down the mountain convinced me that I was done driving for the day) to a bistro in Basalt to meet Mitzi for dinner. 

Super secret trivia: someone I met today was present at Mariah Carey's private Christmas eve church service in Aspen. Yes, that's right. She has a private Christmas eve service. 

Dinner was delicious (I did not eat elk, which was on the menu, but there's always tomorrow) and now I'm going to hit the hay. Mitzi comes tomorrow to give me the tour de down valley. We'll start in Rifle and work our way back to Aspen, stopping in Carbondale for what shall henceforth be known as the Great Apartment Hunt. Wish me luck!  


No comments: